File Systems vs. Raw Devices

From: harold bauer <Harold.Bauer_at_launchpad.unc.edu>
Date: 22 May 1994 12:27:28 GMT

I am interested in information on the advantages/disadvantages of using file systems and raw devices for ORACLE in a UNIX environment. In general, questions like the following:

     Experiences using file systems and raw devices.
     Which do you use (one, the other, or both)?
     How have you implemented them and maintained them?
     Have you migtrated between the two?
     What are the administrative and operational problems of the two?
     What are the performance gains (is there really a 50% gain in using
        raw devices over file systems)?
     How did you achieve your performance gains (either with file systems
        or raw devices)?
     Which is your preference and why?

What I am trying to do is to create a discussion of the pros/cons of file systems and raw devices in a UNIX environment. And to determine where and how they are being used. If you can supply general information on your ORACLE site (i.e. database size, number of raw devices or data files used, etc), this might also be helpful to the discussion.

Thanks in advance
Harold Bauer

--

 \ The above does not represent OIT, UNC-CH, laUNChpad, or its other users. /