Oracle/VMS Backup

From: Barry Roomberg <barry.roomberg_at_compudata.com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 94 16:37:00 -0500

-> 1) If I preserve the archived redo logs, do I need to worry about
-> taking more frequent backups of the database?

Time benefit. The less logs to apply, the faster a dead system can come back.

-> 2) Using BEGIN & END BACKUP:
->
-> a) what does Oracle do in this mode?

Marks the head of the tablespace that it is "in backup mode". This way when you restore from the file, it knows that it need to go into recover mode, and what the current logs was at the beginning of back.

-> b) surely the backups will not be consistent if I backup tablespaces
-> individually as recommended by the Backup FAQ?
->

Surely they will, as long as you have ALL the logs that were created during the duration of the backup.

-> c) are there any restrictions on user operations while in this mode?

Nope.

-> d) The FAQ warns against putting all tablespaces into BEGIN BACKUP
-> at the same time due to problems restoring if the system crashes.
-> What are these problems?

Dunno. Please let me know since I am about to go from a single SYSTEM tablespace situation, to a whole buncha data tablespaces. Received on Fri May 20 1994 - 23:37:00 CEST

Original text of this message