Re: ORACLE TECH SUPPORT. NONEXISTENT

From: Michael Nolan <nolan_at_helios.unl.edu>
Date: 20 May 1994 21:10:18 GMT

gbp_at_godel.denver.ssds.com (Gary B. Page - Chicago) writes:

>Michael J Matthews (mjm_at_atti14.atti14.attibr.att.com) wrote:
><the latest update in a long string on the state of Oracle support>

>Does it bother anyone else that we haven't seen a response from Oracle to this
>thread?

Oracle has no 'official' presence in this newsgroup, but I know that quite a few folks at Oracle read it, and suspect summaries get passed on to the right folks. Maybe after the AUG guidelines go away July 1st Oracle will be more willing and able to participate in an official or at least less unofficial sense.

>When I go into a decent restaurant and say anything they might interpret as
>criticizing their food or service, I get excessive apologies right away.

Not if you are talking to friends at the bar or mumbling to yourself in the Men's room, which is close to where this newsgroup ranks in the official support hierarchy.

>Forums like this one are an invaluable aid to a vendor. They can help the
>vendor know what needs to be fixed, what features people want, and how they
>compare to the competition. And it is all almost free!

Don't tell anybody at Oracle it is free, they pay a LOT of bucks for their Internet access, and you are suggesting making folks read this newsgroup as part of their job, which means Oracle is paying them to read news.

That doesn't mean it isn't an excellent idea, but there ARE economic considerations involved.

>are. Then you have to be innovative. How about a WWW server for answering
>common questions?

I'd settle for an ftp site for the technical bulletins, or even for something better in terms of the RTSS system, which is nearly IMPOSSSIBLE to use and defies my attempts at automating the process. (Even something like 'display all technical bulletins on product X dated after 'MM/DD/YY' would be a big help!)

---
Michael Nolan, Sysop for the DBMS RoundTable on GEnie
nolan_at_notes.tssi.com, dbms_at_genie.geis.com
(posted from nolan_at_helios.unl.edu)