Re: ORACLE TECH SUPPORT. NONEXISTENT

From: Gary B. Page - Chicago <gbp_at_godel.denver.ssds.com>
Date: 20 May 1994 18:27:29 GMT

Michael J Matthews (mjm_at_atti14.atti14.attibr.att.com) wrote: <the latest update in a long string on the state of Oracle support>

Does it bother anyone else that we haven't seen a response from Oracle to this thread?

When I go into a decent restaurant and say anything they might interpret as criticizing their food or service, I get excessive apologies right away.

Forums like this one are an invaluable aid to a vendor. They can help the vendor know what needs to be fixed, what features people want, and how they compare to the competition. And it is all almost free!

Just think how many expensive marketing surveys Oracle would need to get all this info. And think how hard it would be for them to get back any customers they lose because of bad service.

I hesitate to give other people advice about doing their jobs, but ...

If I were running Oracle, every employee that used any kind of computer that could be used for the purpose would be required to read this newsgroup every day.

As soon as this thread came up, I would have written an open apology to the customer involved, I would have gotten his problem solved, then I would have done something about the support lines.

I would also ask my customers, represented here on the net, what would make them think Oracle had good service. This is every bit as much a requirements problem as any software system. You have to find out what the requirements are. Then you have to be innovative. How about a WWW server for answering common questions? Received on Fri May 20 1994 - 20:27:29 CEST

Original text of this message