Opinions of database system named R:Base

From: Graham R. Leach <leach_at_cs.concordia.ca>
Date: Fri, 20 May 1994 03:00:10 GMT

I have been asked to gather opinions about the database system known as R:Base

At my workplace, it is in wide use but other options are being explored in terms of RDBMS systems, particularly Win/SQL Server and other options in the GUI client/server paradigm.

What can R:Base NOT do that client/server can do? Does it come with any apparent faults or hidden faults. Is it current with RDBMS systems as they are being produced today or does it rely upon obsolete ideas and technology?

We are at the point where a proper choice now can dictate success or failure for MIS at the Corporate level, and integrated data or "islands" everywhere, but I need to be able to give informed advice to my superiors, and not gut feelings. Help is definitely appreciated.

                                                 graham.