Oracle Office

From: <mkline_at_gems.vcu.edu>
Date: 17 May 94 22:25:37 -0400

We are in the process of checking out "Oracle Office" to run on multiple machines, some 31-36 NCR Unix boxes ranging from 3445's to a couple of 3225's. We are also checking out running this on multiple PCs with the Dos/Windows interface, etc.

Initial benchmarks show this product taking upwards of 2 minutes and 12 seconds to come up on a 486/33 with 16 meg of memory. If you have any other windows applications active, they die during this "coming up" time.

Compare this to the "office_xterm" under Xoftware for Windows which comes up in 19 seconds. Has anyone tried this product, or possibly Oracle Mail?

We're concerned with a couple of things: 1. Once we commit to this and start loading down the machines, are

   we going to see a considerable delay beyond the 2 minutes which    I already find to be extensively long. Also, being "State", we    can't be asking all users to buy a 486/66+ with over 200 mb of    disk to run at a decent speed.

2. How is the product's "External gateways" to the Internet,

   Listserv, Listproc, Majordomo, etc?

3. How is the product when going from one machine to the other? What

   kind of performance can we expect from a 3445(Single 486 box) to    another in the same room when both boxes may be loaded down to    about 50% or so.

4. How does all this "data base work" compare to using a product like

   Zmail, Elm, Pine, or Uniplex?

5. We operate 24 hours per day. What does one do when the data base

   is being backed up?

We are looking at Oracle Office because for us it's already paid for in a "blanket contract", and we currently have PROFS and need the scheduling, conference room scheduling, and things like this. Received on Wed May 18 1994 - 04:25:37 CEST

Original text of this message