Re: huge proc executalbe in V7

From: Larry W. Virden <lwv26_at_cas.org>
Date: Tue, 17 May 1994 18:46:37 GMT

In article <1994May16.124632.23589_at_ohgpu.hydro.on.ca>, Rob E. Allan <rallan_at_ohgpu.hydro.on.ca> wrote:
:In article <2qv8gm$75n_at_pereiii.uji.es> mingot_at_vents.uji.es (Ivan MIngot Latorre) writes:
:>Rob E. Allan (Rob.E.Allan_at_hydro.on.ca) wrote:
:>> I am in the process of proting some V6 proc code to V7.
:>> When compiling the demos, the executable size is about 1
:>> megabyte for evey demo. Does anyone know why they are so
:>> big? Is there anything I can do to keep my progs from
:>> exploding to this size?

:>> rob.e.allan_at_hydro.on.ca

No there is nothing you can do, short of staying with Oracle 6 or moving to another vendor.

:> I talked with ORACLE SUPPORTS services and they replied
:>me that in most platforms ORACLE 7 doesn't make dimamic links,
:>that is, the links are statics and so the programs size are
:>very big.

Sorry - wrong answer. We are talking about no change in programs, just recompiling with the new Oracle version - was static, still is static. Auto growth of 1 meg! I hope folk have a LOT of spare disk change around...

:
:I should have mentioned that I am running V7 under sunos 4.1.3U_1.
:I also found another wierd "feature". The demo makefile has some of the
:smae libraries repeated on the link line. When I take out any duplicates,
:I get all kinds of undefined functions. If I reorder the libs on the link line,
:I get different undefined functions.
:

If that's the only strange problem you have encountered you are indeed a fortunate person. We find that trying to create a runform with user exits results in a run of the forms designer rather than our application, that the makefiles as distributed don't work on a Sun - we have to hack quite a bit to even get make to use the files, then hack some more to get the sample applications to link. And then there is the matter of needing to hack more to get _our_ applications to work...

--

:s Great net resources sought...
:s Larry W. Virden INET: lvirden_at_cas.org