Re: huge proc executalbe in V7

From: Donal Daly <ddaly_at_nl.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 1994 10:22:17 GMT

|> I should have mentioned that I am running V7 under sunos 4.1.3U_1.
|> I also found another wierd "feature". The demo makefile has some of the
|> smae libraries repeated on the link line. When I take out any duplicates,
|> I get all kinds of undefined functions. If I reorder the libs on the link line,
|> I get different undefined functions.

The reason why the makefile has libraries duplicated on the link line is probably because the SUNOS linker is single pass, that is it reads the archive library ONCE when it processes them on the link line, therefore the ordering of libraries on the link line becomes important and also the requirement to sometimes duplicate libraries also.

This is not an issue, when you use shared libraries, because of the nature of the way shared libraries are "attached" to your executable.

 Donal Daly, (ddaly_at_ie.oracle.com)                                 Olivetti PLD
 Oracle Europe, Blackrock, Co. Dublin, Ireland

 Any opinions expressed above are my own!