RE:STandards

From: Robert L. Manieri <rmanieri_at_novalink.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 94 09:35:26 EST

>> From: faugheym_at_iia.org (mike faughey)
>>
>> We recently purchased Oracle 7, and I have been given the task of
 creating
>> standards. The OFA standard is great for the physical environment,
 but
>> I was wondering what others have done to supplement these standards.
>> If anyone can offer any advice, I would appreciate it.

Mike:
OFA is nice, but keep in mind it was designed for a perfect world. One thing you'll need to come up with is a naming convention for your databases and instances too if you go to the parallel server. Don't paint yourself into a corner by using "TEST" and "PROD". If you use these names, when your second machine gets added you'll probably get burned.
Another thing I do is never let anyone run an application as the OWNER of the tables being modified by said application. Give their user id or role select,insert,update and even DELETE privilege, but don't let them out there with a user id that can ALTER or even worse DROP the table.
Keep in mind, if you're the DBA, you have the power and you're in charge. And the first you're in charge of is BLAME. When it goes wrong, they will come to you. So don't make a habit of giving out powerful privileges.
Just my natural paranoia...
Good luck.
See ya in da funny papers!

  Bob Manieri                           email : rmanieri_at_novalink.com
  Database Administrator                voice : (302) 594-4163
  First USA Bank, Wilmington, Delaware pager : (609) 342-0314
          It has been said that a DBA is a professional paranoid.
                    Just because you're paranoid,
             doesn't mean that they're not out to get you.