Re:Returning stored procedure results to query tool

From: Ken Levine <kenl_at_icebox.iceonline.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 1994 01:57:32 GMT

>create or replace procedure test_proc
>is
 .. stuff deleted
>I can execute the above procedure from my end-user query tool but I don't know
>were the results go to. I just get a message about the procedure executed
>successfully.
>
>What I'd really like to do is get Oracle to return results of a stored
>procedure like Sybase does. Does anyone have any tricks or suggestions.
>
>Thanks,

use
create or replace procedure test_proc ( a IN NUMBER, b OUT NUMBER, c OUT VARCHAR2) THe first parameter is your input deptno for instance, and the second and third are output parameters - b could be # of employees, c the name of the dept. Don't know if your tool supports the passing of parameters to Oracle stored procs. The syntax may be different than presented above when used from a third party product - for instance Powerbuilder treats the proc almost the way one would treat a cursor -declare, call, fetch output params, close.

This stuff is in the app developer's guide and the pl/sql reference.

Ken Levine
Consultant
Vancouver, BC Received on Fri May 13 1994 - 03:57:32 CEST

Original text of this message