Re: SQL*Net and Windows Memory

From: <mph_at_visionware.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 May 1994 18:02:38 GMT

In article <2qbjq1$886_at_hp06.ux.syncrude.com>, <cory.aston_at_syncrude.com> writes:
vision!pipex!howland.reston.ans.net!gatech!newsxfer.itd.umich.edu!nntp.cs.ubc.c a!torn!uunet.ca!uunet.ca!hp06!usenet
> From: cory.aston_at_syncrude.com
> Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
> Subject: SQL*Net and Windows Memory
> Date: Thu, 05 May 94 14:03:30 PDT
>

> Whenever we run SQL*Net from Windows 3.1 using the Chameleon winsock
>
> application we encounter a problem with the use of low memory. Typical
>
> applications such as Excel and Word use less than 30k of low memory to run
>
> while applications which connect to Oracle through SQL*Net use anywhere from
>
> 180k to 250k. This causes an error "Not enough Memory to start this
>
> application" whenever another application attempts to start afterwards. This
>
> occurs with both PowerBuilder and Visual Basic applications using both
>
> proprietary and ODBC connects but only when we are connecting to Oracle.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this problem. Have any resolutions been arrived
 at

> to solve it.

Well there are ways to use Oracle with Powerbuilder and VB without using SQL*Net. A description of how follows, and for more info call Visionware tel +1 415 325 2113.

MPH. SQL-Retriever is a high-performance, fully compliant level 1 ODBC driver which allows Microsoft Windows applications to talk to UNIX databases, quickly and easily. VisionWare delivers a 'middleware' product in SQL-Retriever which offers a single ODBC solution into which you can plug your preferred Windows clients and UNIX database servers, without compatibility problems. No other software vendor offers a solution comprising all the connectivity software and ODBC support you need: the only other products you need to source are the clients and servers themselves. Most importantly, SQL-Retriever does away with the need for multiple DLLs and database-proprietary network interfaces such as Ingres-Net and SQL*Net. As a result, SQL-Retriever is not only fast, but does not require large amounts of PC memory. Support for several databases and many communications methods makes SQL-Retriever the most flexible and cost-efficient solution to connectivity requirements. With SQL-Retriever, you can develop personalised client/server executive information systems using just a few mouse clicks, not a team of SQL developers. Received on Thu May 12 1994 - 20:02:38 CEST

Original text of this message