Oracle View Machanism - Opinions Please!!!!!!

From: Michael j Dorey <scoec_at_westminster.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 May 1994 17:05:47 GMT

Does anyone on this system have any views/comments etc. on the use of the Oracle (SQL) view mechanism? This is a peeve directed to a particular lecturer here (who will remain nameless) but who is under the impression that when designing a database you should not create views which are themselves based (or partly based) on other views. When I questioned 'why?' I was given no specific reasoning. The solution to many database problems can (of course) be enhanced by using views, and in my view (no pun intended!) breaking a complex set of requirements into small problem-specific views which may then be linked together into a larger view and perhaps to another base table is perfectly logical, and one of the plusses of the relational model?? It might also be considered a simple extension of functional programming, breaking a problem into specific procedures or modules. I would be grateful on any opinions on this - I have to add I've seen nothing in any books which discourages it, (in fact it was encouraged on a course I attended in 1991) and surely it enhances future maintainablity of the system as well???

Thanks in advance

Michael Dorey Received on Wed May 11 1994 - 19:05:47 CEST

Original text of this message