What is the preformance gap between mainframes and oracle servers

From: Arndt-Michael Meyer <arndt_at_magenta.ico.olivetti.com>
Date: 11 May 1994 17:21:50 GMT

        I think the 2 worlds, mainframe (DB2) and UNIX (oracle, ingress, ...), don't communicate very much. It is difficult to figure out the performance of db-applications as the mainframe people don't know or don't tell you.

Are there some ducuments about this subject ? In the end I would like to know whether the work done by mainframes can be done by workstations ?

Thanks
-Arndt

PS: My opinion is:
 In the mainframe world there are a lots of people that work using some 100 fixed command lines, but they usually don't have an overall view of the system.  In the UNIX world there are lots of people that that use a lot of soffisticated tools and do have an overall view of their system.

    Comments on this ?

Arndt-Michael Meyer
Distributed Computing                                 Ing.C.Olivetti & C. Spa
Eml: arndt_at_dolcetto.ico.olivetti.com                  Via G.Jervis, 77
Tel: +39 125 528674  Fax: +39 125 521174              10015 Ivrea (To) Italy