A/UX Oracle -- sfwfb: write error

From: Andrew D. Newman <newman_at_minerva.cis.yale.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 May 1994 21:30:48 GMT

Greetings,

Wondering if anyone else is seeing this problem on the A/UX implementation of Oracle. Under moderately heavy I/O load, a medium sized Oracle instance fairly regularly crashes producting a .trc file for each of the Unix processes associated with it. The dbwr trace file contains the most useful information as follows:

ORACLE7 Server Release 7.0.15.5.2 - Production With the procedural and distributed options PL/SQL Release 2.0.17.5.2 - Production
ORACLE_HOME = /u/oracle
ORACLE_SID = DEV
Oracle process number: 3 Unix process id: 495 System name: A/UX

Node name:      asdev
Release:        3.0.1
Version:        SVR2
Machine:        mc68040

Tue May 10 15:34:37 1994
*** SESSION ID:(2.1)
KCF: write/open error dba=40008d9 block=8d9 online=1

     file=1 /u/oracle/dbs/system1DEV.dbf
     error=7376 txt: 'Macintosh A/UX Error: 11: No more processes'
error 1114 detected in background process OPIRIP: Uncaught error 447. Error stack:
ORA-00447: fatal error in background process
ORA-01114: IO error writing block to file 1 (block # 2265)
ORA-01110: data file 1: '/u/oracle/dbs/system1DEV.dbf'
ORA-07376: sfwfb: write error, unable to write database block.
Macintosh A/UX Error: 11: No more processes

(Not surprisingly) Oracle support has been grinding on this for a week now with no luck. I realize that I haven't provided all of the information that would be necessary to solve the problem but I'm just trying to get a census as to whether anyone else has tseen the problem. The 'No more processes' message is just the text associated with ERRNO 11 and (I beleive) is misleading. In any case, by advice from Oracle, a variety of system tuning parameters have been modified to no avail. Anyone want to be a hero?

--

*    |    |  |  *                 -Andrew Newman                             *