Re: Deleting unactive Oracle accounts

From: bs <shatzman_at_netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 1994 15:29:03 GMT

kulvindar singh (ksingh_at_mach1.wlu.ca) wrote:
: Does anyone have recommendations about the advisability of deleting obsolete
: user accounts from the user$ dictionary table (Version 6 of Oracle). We are
: finding that these obsolete accounts are cluttering up the dba_users view.
: Thanks for any help.

Here's a simple benefit-cost analysis...

Benefits

  1. You don't have to add 'WHERE connect_priv = 1 OR resource_priv = 1 OR dba_priv = 1' to see only your 'active' users

Costs

  1. You can never tell what the side effects will be from doing ANY mucking with the data dictionary.
  2. Oracle support won't touch your database with a 10 foot pole

So, my advice to you is the same i'd give to anyone else thinking of committing suicide - IT'S NOT WORTH IT.

Barry

...a few positive thoughts...

  1. You're not alone with this problem
  2. It's easy to get around by adding the above mentioned WHERE clause
  3. ORACLE7 does allow users to be dropped