SQL*Net Hell

From: Kim Johnson <kim_at_medicus.com>
Date: Thu, 5 May 1994 20:45:10 GMT

I'm having continuing problems with what should be a very simple operation: using the SQL*Plus copy statement to populate local tables from a remote database. I'm trying something similar to the following:

   copy from user_a/pw_at_db_b replace table_a -    using select * from table_a;

Where "user_a" is a user defined on both databases with the same privileges (connect, resource, dba right now), "table_a" exists in the user_a schema on both databases, and "db_b" is a database link to a remote database.

I get either of the following (extremely helpful) error messages:

   ORA-01012: Unable to open message file (SQL-02113). or the one I really like:

   ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE (this terminates my local    connection!)

orasrv IS running on both machines, both machines run SunOS 4.1.3, Oracle 7.0.12 and SQL*Net TCP V1.1. A simple select like the following always works, so I believe the database links and SQL*Net setup are OK:   select * from table_a_at_db_b;

I've tried variations on the copy parameters (eg, insert, append, create), changes to arraysize and copycommit, and changed/new database link definitions. I can rcp and ftp between machines without a problem.

Using this type of manual replication was my fallback when I found "create snapshot" didn't seem to be reliable under SQL*Net V1. I can't wait to try my next-to-last fallback ("insert into table_a using select * from table_a_at_db_b") for "larger" tables!

Has anyone else experienced these problems or know of any workarounds?

Kim Johnson
Software Engineer
Medicus Systems
Alameda, CA Received on Thu May 05 1994 - 22:45:10 CEST

Original text of this message