Re: Clinical Trials/ClinTrial

From: Miroslaw Piaseczny <mirek_at_unixg.ubc.ca>
Date: 4 May 1994 18:09:13 GMT

In article <2q7umb$5al_at_ccu2.auckland.ac.nz>, Alan MCCulloch <amccullo_at_ccu1.auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
>I am trying to find information about how others have solved the
>problems of managing and analysing Clinical Trials data effectively
>using ORACLE - I've heard of a commercial package called ClinTrial
>and thought I'd start there. Anybody using this or could point me
>to detailed information, I'd be grateful for a response.
>
>We are doing this using ORACLE and in-house developed applications
>- mostly character-based forms for data-entry and simple queries
>(FORMS 3), sqlplus and (horrors) SQL*Report for reports, and
>a small amount of PRO*C code for bits and pieces. Data is "exported"

                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>via ASCII files to statistical packages like SAS and SPlus for
>serious analysis.

We have just installed the SAS/Access interface to Oracle. That way we don't have to create ASCII files any more. The SAS programs can read Oracle data, and the SAS data files can be created directly from Oracle. The software also allows you to submit SQL statements to Oracle, as well as to load SAS data into Oracle tables.

Oracle data can also be easily passed to the SPSS programs ('get oracle' command).
I don't know much about SPlus, but I guess you can always read the SAS data files.

>I'd be interested in hearing people's experiences using ORACLE (or
>other relational databases...but this is an ORACLE newsgroup) for
>this sort of data, and sharing my own experience with anybody interested.

Mirek Piaseczny Received on Wed May 04 1994 - 20:09:13 CEST

Original text of this message