Re: DBA Monitoring Tools

From: C.J.Sleith <cbar68_at_ccsun.strath.ac.uk>
Date: 4 May 1994 01:42:14 GMT

In article <Cp8I09.EM_at_melpar.esys.com> bsuskind_at_melpar.esys.com writes:
>> In article <Cow1AI.MI_at_cscns.com> tcannon_at_cscns.com (Tim Cannon) writes:
>>
>> >Hey, fellow DBAs .... I'm currently looking at a demo package of dbVision
>> >software, a GUI based series of Oracle DBA/performance/space monitoring
>> >tools. Is there anyone out here in netland that has any practical
>> >experience with this or any of the other related packages (Patrol, etc?)?
>> >I'd be interested in trading experiences and comments, here or you can
>> >respond through email to tim.cannon_at_amp.com.
>>
>Last time I saw DBVision from OpenVision all it was use SQL scripts and
>pipe out the data so a program could graph it.

Not utterly irrelevanty, I'm currently working on a DBA tool under X-Windows and SunView/XView which seems to have similarities to DB-Vision ( Never actually seen it, but I've seen the specs ), although I don't tend to rely on graphed output, merely textual displays. The whole tool is designed to do all the stuff ( and a bit more ) that SQL*DBA allows you to do, but you can do it all at the same time now. Plus some features of SQL*DBA _apparently_ cleaned up in 7.0.x have been included in my program.

If anyone would like a *very* rough demo copy, feel free to drop me some mail on it. Suggestions of features are also welcome.

>Barry A. Suskind - Information Services ||"After all, if it weren't for

V. Received on Wed May 04 1994 - 03:42:14 CEST

Original text of this message