Async I/O w/ Oracle & AIX

From: Lee E Parsons <lparsons_at_world.std.com>
Date: Tue, 3 May 1994 16:22:01 GMT

Oracle7 has an option to make use of the AIX Async I/O feature. However the Installtion guide for Oracle7 under AIX states "there are known problems with using Asynchronous I/O with Oracle for AIX". The only problems they mention is that you can only have 32 concurrent Async I/O requests at one time. (Which doesnt seem like a real problem to me)

To the Oralce people:
 Anybody using this feature under Oracle7? Noticed any problems? Data  corrution? Does the perf increase make it worth using? It did in my  tests. Frankly I dont understand why Oracle made the above statement  and it is making me nervous.

To the AIX people:
 What happens when you get more than 32 concurrent Async I/O requests to  a AIX file system? Just queues up right? so you have a performance impact  but not an error on the write. If this is the case I wouldn't think your  through put would be any worse than if you weren't using Async I/O. So  the best answer would be to use Async when you can. Right?

Please email me a CC: of your replys as I'm not a comp.unix.aix regular.

--
Regards,

Lee E. Parsons
Systems Oracle DBA	 			lparsons_at_world.std.com