Forms4 Support (was: ORACLE TECH SUPPORT. NONEXISTENT)

From: Jack Love <jlove_at_ivrit.ra.itd.umich.edu>
Date: 3 May 1994 13:13:30 GMT

In article <Cp72HK.47_at_stortek.com>,
Sean Stasica <v045101_at_procyon.stortek.com> wrote:
>Forms 4.0 on the other hand has been out maybe 6 months on average, and
>the support for it is fairly bad. Obviously it is because of extreme lack
>of training of the support personnel. I would guess that the ones who
>know anything are leaving because they get all the problems falling on their
>shoulders from the other non-experienced tech support members.

I agree with most of the points raised in Sean's article. Particularly, in the case of Forms4, I must say that I have been astonished at the absense of tutorial material for such a complex product. Fortunately, I have grown up with Oracle Forms since the prehistoric days of IAP, so I can find my way through most of it; I can't imagine how someone new to the product would ever be able to make sense out of it. When the review of Yang's "Oracle Forms Developers Companion" appeared in Oracle Magazine, I rush ordered a copy of it. The cover is emblazoned with the words "User with versions 3 & 4!" (exclamation point theirs). Thus I was bitterly disappointed to find that this is a book almost exclusively devoted to Forms 3 with scarcely a mention of 4. Even such fundamental changes as the new "record groups" and the recasting of Forms "pages" to "canvas" is ignored. That doesn't mean this book is not worthwhile--I suspect it is one of the better resources out there. But don't get your hopes to high and caveat emptor.

Jack F. Love	| 	Opinions expressed are mine alone.