Remote Oracle access problem and solution

From: Mike Grapevine <grape_at_suned1.nswses.navy.mil>
Date: 3 May 94 17:47:14 GMT

Hi,

   This is not a problem, but a solution to a problem I had involving remote access into Oracle 7.0.13 on an HP 9000 750 from a SUN machine. Bascically, with the correct connect string and using sqlplus on the SUN to try and access the HP Oracle Instance, I would get the error message:

	ERROR: ORA-01004: default username feature not supported; logon denied
	ORA-01988: remote os logon is not allowed

   To fix this (at least I think this is what did it), I entered these settings in the init.ora file for the HP Oracle instance:

	remote_os_authent = TRUE
	remote_os_roles = TRUE

And then I was able to access the HP Oracle instance with no problem from the SUN machine.

--
        Michael D. Grapevine
        NSWC PHD

    Any statements / opinions made here are mine, alone, not the Navy's.