Re: DBA Monitoring Tools

From: Colin McRae <cmcrae_at_bmerhb64.bnr.ca>
Date: 29 Apr 1994 18:25:22 GMT

In article <sxdjd.95.2DC04806_at_orca.alaska.edu>, you write:
|> In article <Cow1AI.MI_at_cscns.com> tcannon_at_cscns.com (Tim Cannon) writes:
|>
|> >Hey, fellow DBAs .... I'm currently looking at a demo package of dbVision
|> >software, a GUI based series of Oracle DBA/performance/space monitoring
|> >tools. Is there anyone out here in netland that has any practical
|> >experience with this or any of the other related packages (Patrol, etc?)?
|> >I'd be interested in trading experiences and comments, here or you can
|> >respond through email to tim.cannon_at_amp.com.
|>
|> I also, would be interested in any comments regarding this (DB-Vision) or
|> other related packages. Currently, we're reviewing literature of this, and
|> other such products.

We have installed DBVision on part of network to monitor multiple databases. The product is very flexible on what you monitor and how much information you wish to store. However, we have turned off the product until we can install it on it's own node with a database to store the information. We found that it brought the load average up too high on multi-user systems from a CPU point of view and had the potential of being one of the primary database users on our production systems.

Colin McRae
Bell Northern Research

Ottawa, Canada

cmcrae_at_bmerhb64.bnr.ca Received on Fri Apr 29 1994 - 20:25:22 CEST

Original text of this message