Re: sizing of rbs

From: Phil Roberts <proberts_at_iglou.iglou.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 1994 02:36:57 GMT

hack_at_netcom.com (Elaine Hacklander) writes:

>Is there some equation for the sizing of rollback
>segments? I am currently creating specs for a
>system in which disk space is at a premium and
>the base configuration cannot be modified.

>any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

My apologies for "jumping on" your coat tails, uh... post, but I was going to post a question which is nearly identical to yours.

As Elaine wrote, I too have a system where free space and partitions are at a very minimum. We are trying to figure out how large we should make our tablespaces. Is there a formula someone could post that would allow us to figure how large to make our tablespaces when we convert a database to 6.0.27 from 5.(something)? Our tables won't grow much larger than they currently are in the version 5 DB. We know how many rows and columns we will have, so if we could have some sort of calculation we would know what sizes to use with the create statements.

Our hardware platform is a Unisys 5000/80 running Unix 5.3, and we will be using 1K blocks. Any help, or a point to a useful reference manual, will be greatly appreciated.

Please post so that others like Elaine can share the information, but you can also send me e-mail and I will share the information with the Usenet group.

--

   Phil Roberts        |   proberts_at_iglou.com    |