Re: ORACLE v7 Export to Tape problems

From: Philip Chee <philip_at_aleytys.pc.my>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 94 01:31:32 GMT

In article <2opl5e$ml_at_zeus.IntNet.net> skscci_at_zeus.IntNet.net writes:

>Howdy All!
>
>Due to the large size of our database, exporting it to disk and then
>copying to tape is unreasonable. As such, we would like to directly
>export it to tape. However, we can't seem to figure out the magical
>incantation. We've spoken to Oracle about this and they admit it is a bug.
>
>Well fine, but we can't really wait until Oracle decides to fix the
>problem, so I was wondering if any of you may have found a workaround to
>this.
>
>We are using Oracle 7.0.15.4 on an RS6000 running AIX.

Oracle NonDBA FAQ section 8.1 states:

8. UNIX QUESTIONS

8.1. Can I create a compressed export on the fly without needing to
        have the space for both the export file and the compressed file?
        Yes, use named pipes.

        mknod p myexport.dmp                            # Make the pipe
        compress < myexport.dmp > myexport.dmp.Z &      # Background compress
        export scott/tiger filename=myexport.dmp        # Do export

        The only space you need is that for the final compressed file
        and about 4 disk blocks for the pipe.  This is because if the
        pipe is full (compress might be slower than export), the writing
        process is blocked until the pipe empties a bit.  The result is
        very efficient with disk.

        You can do a similar thing the other way to import the file.

|Philip Chee: philip_at_aleytys.pc.my| This is a work of fiction.Any resemblance |
|Tasek Cement Berhad              |  to persons living or dead is completely  |
|P.O.Box 254, 30908 Ipoh, MALAYSIA| coincidental. The creator of this article |
|Voice: +605-551-011              |    has asserted its moral right to be     |
|  Fax: +605-566-142              |          identified as the author.        |
 +-------------------Eigi-Eru-Enn-Allir-Jomsvikingar-Daudir!-------------------+