Re: Accessing Date fields in PROC

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_tibalt.supernet.ab.ca>
Date: 28 Apr 1994 09:19:42 -0600

Pschauss (pschauss_at_aol.com) wrote:
> I am developing an application in PROC in which I would like to be able to
> directly access (read and write) Oracle's internal DATE values without going
> through the TO_CHAR and TO_DATE string to binary conversion functions.
> Does anyone have any experience with this? Sample code would be helpful.

> Thanks in advance.
> Peter Schauss
> Gull Electronic Systems Div
> Parker Hannifin Corp
> 516-231-3737
> email: pschauss_at_aol.com

Sorry, Peter ... all info I have (starting at Oracle V5) indicates that you have to convert. Oracle's dates are internally stored as a modified packed number - 7 bytes, including date & time - & they seem to be translated using the system's default date format for presentation & 3GL interchange purposes.

If you find out a way to avoid converting, let me know 'cause I could use it too :-)

/Hans Received on Thu Apr 28 1994 - 17:19:42 CEST

Original text of this message