Re: SQL*Net via SLIP or PPP

From: Gunnar Sylthe <Gunnar.Sylthe_at_nsd.uib.no>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 1994 12:19:35

In article <1994Apr27.230902.21626_at_nova.wright.edu> jmatthews_at_nova.wright.edu writes:

>Sorry if this is off topic. A colleague would like to SQL*Net
>via (14.4 kbps) modem, with Forms 4 on her PC clone accessing
>Oracle 7 on a Sun (Solaris) or a PC (SCO Unix). I understand
>that SQL*Net has an ansynchronous option; alternatively, PPP
>or SLIP are also supposed to work. Given the latter scenario,
>what would one need in the way of software for SLIP or PPP?
>Is anyone doing this? Thanks for any thoughts.

I have tried accessing an Oracle 7 database on a Sun from a PC, via a 14.4 kbps modem using SLIP. It worked, but performance was less than impressive when transferring large amounts of data. For small queries (100-200 records), it seemed to be a workable solution. It has to be said that I did not spend much time optimizing the setup; this may be part of the explanation for the poor performance.

I set up the SLIP connection using the public domain Trumpet Winsock (by Peter Tattam). This WinSock-implementation has SLIP support built-in. On top of that I had SQL*Net TCP/IP, and I used an in-house developed Windows program as the PC front-end.

If you try this out, please share your experiences on this newsgroup; I'm sure I'm not the only one interested.

Regards,

   Gunnar Sylthe

Gunnar Sylthe                                Phone:     +47-55-212125 (voice)
Norwegian Social Science Data Services                  +47-55-960660   (fax)
Hans Holmboesgt. 22                          Email:  Gunnar.Sylthe_at_nsd.uib.no
N-5007 Bergen
NORWAY