Re: orasvr hangs on HP-UX 9.04

From: Colin McRae <cmcrae_at_bmerhb64.bnr.ca>
Date: 28 Apr 1994 13:05:25 GMT

In article <falkjare.9.2DBEF7D5_at_nbnet.nb.ca>, falkjare_at_nbnet.nb.ca (Eric Falkjar) writes:
|> In article (Michael Greenberg) writes:
|>
|> >We are running a client/server application on HP 9000 computers.
|> >They are configured as follows:

|> > Server Client

|> > - HP-UX 9.04 - HP-UX 8.00
|> > - Oracle 6.0.36 - Oracle 6.0.36
|> > - SQL*Net 1.2.7.3.1 - SQL*Net 1.2.7.2.3
|> > - database - about 110 users

|> >We've recently had a problem whereby the "orasrv" program
|> >on the server spins its wheels and takes up most of the CPU,
|> >but will not respond to client tasks. In addition, "tcpctl stop"
|> >printed a message stating that it could not communicate with
|> >with the server even though it was run on the same computer as "orasvr".
|>
|> We have had the exact same problem......
|> HP/UX 9.01
|> Oracle 7.0.15.4
|> Sql*net 1.2.{something}
|>
|> Calls to Oracle support came back negative. They said no one else had the
|> problem. It hit us three times since December on our Production System.
|> I even had Oracle support on the phone for two hours while the problem
|> was hapening. Everything looked normal except for one thing: oraserv would
|> not accept a connection of any kind.
|>
|> They did suggest to try the timeout option on orasrv. ie. "orasrv timeout=3"
|> It is described in a readme file in ORACLE_HOME/tcp/{something}
|>
|> We have not had the problem again but: We do a shutdown and restart of both
|> the database and orasrv every night.
|>
|> I think it has something to do with the number of connections that orasrv had
|> processed before it went dead. We had about 64,000 or so. How many have you
|> had?
|>
|> No help from Oracle. They suggest to wait for SQL*Net V2. (I'm scared)

Oh no!

I was hoping that the move to Oracle 7 and HP-UX 9.01 would resolve this same problem that we run into on occasion.

Oracle RDBMS: 6.0.36.1.1
SQL*Net : 1.2.7.3.1

Colin McRae
Bell Northern Research

Ottawa, Canada

cmcrae_at_bmerhb64.bnr.ca Received on Thu Apr 28 1994 - 15:05:25 CEST

Original text of this message