Re: orasvr hangs on HP-UX 9.04

From: Eric Falkjar <falkjare_at_nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 1994 23:40:05 GMT

In article (Michael Greenberg) writes:

>We are running a client/server application on HP 9000 computers.
>They are configured as follows:

> Server Client

> - HP-UX 9.04 - HP-UX 8.00
> - Oracle 6.0.36 - Oracle 6.0.36
> - SQL*Net 1.2.7.3.1 - SQL*Net 1.2.7.2.3
> - database - about 110 users

>We've recently had a problem whereby the "orasrv" program
>on the server spins its wheels and takes up most of the CPU,
>but will not respond to client tasks. In addition, "tcpctl stop"
>printed a message stating that it could not communicate with
>with the server even though it was run on the same computer as "orasvr".

>There are no messages in the log file which explain what is
>happening.

>In order to proceed we needed to kill the "orasrv" program
>and restart it. The users' programs then proceeded to communicate
>with the client.

>Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there a known solution?

>Michael
>(mcil.comm.mot.com)

We have had the exact same problem...... HP/UX 9.01
Oracle 7.0.15.4
Sql*net 1.2.{something}

Calls to Oracle support came back negative. They said no one else had the problem. It hit us three times since December on our Production System. I even had Oracle support on the phone for two hours while the problem was hapening. Everything looked normal except for one thing: oraserv would not accept a connection of any kind.

They did suggest to try the timeout option on orasrv. ie. "orasrv timeout=3" It is described in a readme file in ORACLE_HOME/tcp/{something}

We have not had the problem again but: We do a shutdown and restart of both the database and orasrv every night.

I think it has something to do with the number of connections that orasrv had processed before it went dead. We had about 64,000 or so. How many have you had?

No help from Oracle. They suggest to wait for SQL*Net V2. (I'm scared)

| Eric Falkjar I.S.P.  | FalkjarE_at_nbnet.nb.ca |
| Blue Cross Atlantic  |----------------------|
| 644 Main Street      | A closed mouth       |
| Moncton, NB, Canada | gathers no feet... |