Re: Oracle Pricing Costs are Absurdly High

From: Heikki Rissanen <rissahe1_at_news.ougf.fi>
Date: 25 Apr 1994 20:48:27 +0300

Bob Comarow (comarow_at_eisner.decus.org) wrote: : What do other's think of Oracle costs.

Can't tell, really!

 Of course Oracle is expensive, everyone knows that. But the real question  is, whether it pays off, and there may be different answers.

 Even an expensive tools may become cheap, if it saves enough work or other  resouces, but I can't help you with that one.

 Another problem is that the future costs of Oracle are not actually known.  We can usually calculate the initial purchase price plus the annual licence,  but that is not really enough.

 Future releases may grow so fast that it requires more hardware and may  or may not give something, but eventually we have to uppgrade anyway.  Especially on PC-side, where every new release actually means upgrading  your PC, because Oracle development personel will allways have better  hardware than their customers. This may also apply for mini's.

 Oracle tends to change their packaging e.q. on the PC side so that the one  may not be able to upgrade, but has to buy a whole new product again (and  again).

 We have also faced the fact that they may change their licence rules  so that even a minor change in the environment may mean that we have to  rewrite the contracts using the new rules, and guess who's paying...

Regards,

        Hessu

Heikki Rissanen, United Papermills, Rauma, Finland Email: heikki.rissanen_at_ra.upm.yhtyneet.mailnet.fi