Re: How safe is Netware Oracle server?

From: Jim Deeming <jwdxt_at_csn.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 1994 16:14:26 GMT

Richard D Holowczak (holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu) wrote:
: nw_at_diemen.cc.utas.edu.au (Nigel Williams) writes:

: >We are currently running a Netware (3.12) based Oracle server. My concern
: >is crashes in any one part of the server can bring down the whole system.
: >For example if a network NLM crashes it can bring down the Oracle server or
: >vice versa. My feeling is that a UNIX based server would offer greater
: >protection as most Oracle/UNIX implementations use a protected memory
: >environment. Backups provide some level of security however it assumes that
: >the recovery procedures can detect any damage. UNIX based servers however
: >tend to cost more in terms of support and initial outlay.
: [more concerns deleted]

: All of your concerns have valid reasoning. In my experience, however,
: a well set up Netware implementation is no more prone to crashes
: than a well set up Unix implementation. When the first Oracle 6
: NLM came out, I think a few people had some problems. Things like
: various patches to CLIB and other NLMs that caused some instability.

: Of course the media blew this way out of proportion and the
: Oracle / Netware combination some how got this "unreliable"
: stigma.

: If other have had different experiences, please let me know.

: FYI, my Oracle / Netware server has been running for something
: like 200 days. Before that, we only took it down to install some
: new SW.

: Rich Holowczak
: Rutgers University
: holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu

: >Thanks,
: >Nigel.

: >Nigel.Williams_at_its.utas.edu.au

I agree with Rich - we have been running Oracle on Netware for almost 2 years, including the V6-V7 upgrade, and like it fine. If you are having problems with Oracle crashing your server, you need to verify that not only are your Novell NLMs (CLIB etc.) current, but that your Oracle server and SPX NLMs are the versions Oracle recommends.   Call Oracle support and tell them what you have and they may spot something. I even had them tell me to update a DOS SQL*NET SPX version because it was a possible culprit in some server crashes we had early on. We have been stable on Version 7 for about a year now.

Jim Deeming
Boulder County Received on Mon Apr 25 1994 - 18:14:26 CEST

Original text of this message