Re: Ora - Perl ?

From: Mahesh Vallampati <m0v5533_at_tamsun.tamu.edu>
Date: 24 Apr 1994 00:40:50 -0500

In article <2pc31bINNd9h_at_uwm.edu>,
Amit Srivastava <amit_at_point.cs.uwm.edu> wrote:
>A friend of mine mentioned there is a tool called Ora Perl,
>a subset of Perl, that can be used for Oracle Administration?
> I was not able to locate it through archie?
>Anyone, were it is / what it is?
>

>--
> _/_
> __. ____ o /
>(_/|_/ / /_<_<__

What is Oraperl?
Hmmm.what is Perl?
PERL is Pattern Extraction and Report Language.It is a language which has the capabilities of Shell,C,grep,sed and awk.So it is pretty handy for system administration.
Perl was written by Larry Wall and is availble at almost all GNU archives. Oraperl is a version of Perl whcich has been extended to manipulate Oracle databases.
There is also something called Coraperl which is Oraperl with Curses. There is also sybperl which is Perl for sysbase. Oraperl is free ware.So it is free:-).
Perl is available on almost all variants of Unix.I don't know if it is the same with oraperl.
Before even thinking of oraperl get Perl.Post to comp.lang.perl .If u r lucky u might get binaries for them.
One needs the following to build oraperl.A C compiler,Perl and Oracle OCI(Oracle call Interface).
Ftp site for oraperl:wuarchive.wustl.edu Path: /usenet/comp.sources.misc/volume3[0-3]/oraperl-v2/*

Note that there is no official support for Oraperl.U have to rely on the goodwill of the USENET to solve ur problems. Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards
Mahesh Vallampati
M.S. In EE
Dept.of Electrical Engineering,
Texas A & M University.
Ph:(409)845-6189
\\ In the Beginning there was Codd..... Received on Sun Apr 24 1994 - 07:40:50 CEST

Original text of this message