Are .frm and .rep platform independent

From: Michael Stowe <Michael.Stowe_at_f573.n115.z1.fidonet.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 94 02:43:01 -0600

This is incorrect.

.FRM files are NOT platform independent, but .INP files are. I have been 100% successful in moving an .INP file from one platform to another, creating a new .FRM, and having it work without any changes. For that matter, it also works if I store the form in the database, and recompile for another platform. For reports, you would use dumprep and loadrep to generate platform-independent files.

> Will code that has been precompiled (PRO*C) on one platform
> compile successfully on another platform (if code is standard C
> and both platforms have std C compilers). Has anyone actually tried
> this?

Yes, it does work, given that assumptions. Be aware, however, that default compilation parameters may be different for different platforms. Received on Fri Apr 22 1994 - 10:43:01 CEST

Original text of this message