Re: Pro*C and C++

From: Filipe Santos <ffs_at_vega>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 1994 11:38:45 GMT

dpaes_at_obelix.fe.up.pt (Dinis Manuel Alves da Mota Paes) writes:
: Hello,
:
: We're developing our project in C using Pro*C for the database interface,
: but are now considering writing the next version in C++.
: Is it possible to mix C++ and Pro*C? And if it's possible, is it safe?
:
: Thanks,
:
: Dinis Paes
: Faculdade de Engenharia do Porto, Portugal
: (dpaes_at_obelix.fe.up.pt)

Hi Dinis,

with regards to the above question - yes it is possible to mix C++ and Pro*C (we did it using Microsoft Visual C++ 1.0 and Pro*C 1.5 and Oracle V7) However it is not supported by oracle (what is?) i.e. they do not guarantee it will work and will not provide online support.

The best thing to do is create a seperate Pro*C file with all the SQL code. Then declare all the funtions produced by the
precompiler as Extern "C" function_name in the C++ modules that call the Pro*C functions.

Oracle are going to produce a version of Pro*C which is C++ compatible but they would not give me a release date.

enjoy, enjoy,

Steve. Received on Fri Apr 22 1994 - 13:38:45 CEST

Original text of this message