Oracle and memory

From: Michael Stowe <Michael.Stowe_at_f573.n115.z1.fidonet.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 94 02:36:00 -0600

  • Quoting Kjacobs_at_Clark.Net to All dated 04-17-94 ***
    > In the next few weeks we will be setting up a database server (running
    > Netware 4.01) using the Oracle NLM. The machine we will be using will have a
    > caching SCSI controller (and large SCSI HD) capable of up to 128MB of RAM
    > (standard SIMMs).
    > Question is, where should we concentrate the most memory - for the
    > server (capable of up to 128MB) or the controller [we're getting close to
    > 200 MB of RAM total]. Where will the memory do us the most good?

On the server, for the most part. First, because the memory will probably be used for largely the same thing -- caching -- but Oracle and Novell tend to do that more intelligently than a SCSI controller because they have an awareness of what data can wait and which can't. Also, if the RAM is on the server, it can be borrowed for other things besides caching, such as a larger shared SQL area. The caches are complimentary, of course, and I definitely recommend a caching controller, you just won't get as much of a visible performance gain out of it (assuming you tweak the parameters to utilize the RAM on the server.)

For 200 megs, I'd say put 128 megs in the server, and the remaining RAM in the cache controller -unless- your processor is less powerful than a 486-66.

Michael Stowe
Constellation Engineering Received on Fri Apr 22 1994 - 10:36:00 CEST

Original text of this message