Re: SUNOS 4.1.3 vs Solaris 2.3

From: Doug Harris <ah513_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 1994 23:48:07 GMT

In a previous article, Lex Bontjes () says:

>The machine is a Sun Sparc 10, 40. Memory 32 MB and 2 GB HD.
>The OS is SUNOS 4.1.3
>
>On this machine we are using Oracle 7.0.13.1.0 as a server.
>The client is Paradox for Windows 4.5.
>
>This configuration is terrible slow. So we are considering to change
>the operating system to Solaris 2.3
>
>Should this improve the performance of the Oracle server significantly?

  Not likely (Sorry).

   I would recommend you try to find whether the problem is with the Server, the network, or Paradox. How is performance with Oracle tools running directly on the server?

   If you do with to improve server performance, I would recommend adding more memory; 32 Megs seems a little tight to me although it depends on what else is running on the Sun. Of course you should try to tune your instance first.

   You will also want to upgrade your Oracle software to a more current release such as 7.0.15 or 7.0.16.

  • Doug Harris Database Administrator, System Development Division, Statistics Canada ## Standard Disclaimer Applies ##