Re: Question on Multi-Threaded Server Setup

From: Doug Harris <ah513_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 1994 00:03:18 GMT

In a previous article, kim_at_medicus.com (Kim Johnson) says:

>I'm thinking about converting our server (V7.0.12 on SunOS 4.1.3)
>to the multi-threaded option in hopes of supporting more users and
>improving performance.
>
>Has anyone run into any problems with MTS? Any major bugs that would
>prevent using it in a production environment? Any warnings or
>advice? I'd like to hear from you if so.

   I've had the following problems with MTS with 7.0.15.4 for SunOS:

   Passing large values (i.e. VARCHAR2s > 1750 bytes) sometimes crashes the shared server. This is difficult to reproduce so MTS may not be at fault. We occasionally run into problems like this that "go away" when connecting to a dedicated server.

   When an SQL statement which SELECTS/INSERTS/UPDATE a large number of columns ( > 120 or so) is parsed, the dispatcher seems to go into some kind of wait state and the parse "hangs". The next request to come in to the dispatcher from another user clears this wait state and the waiting parse then completes successfuly.

Note that we are using 7.0.15.4 which clearly states in the README file that MTS is not yet supported for production. These problems may be all cleared up in 7.0.16 (Don't have it in Canada yet).

>Now for a specific question. I'm currently struggling with the
>SQL*Net V2 setup. From the documentation it appears that I need
>entries for IPC in listener.ora; ours looks like this:

>Apparently I also need an entry for the "pea" service name in tnsnames.ora,
>but... I can't find any documentation on how it should look. I'm getting
>TNS-12533 "illegal address parameters" right now. Any help would be
>appreciated. (I'm assuming this IPC setup is required for MTS??)

IPC is the Unix Domain socket Protocol adapter, which is used to connect to MTS from clients running on the same machine.

   Why not try out the SQL*Net config utility to build your tnsnames.ora file?

  • Doug Harris Database Administrator, System Development Division, Statistics Canada ## Standard Disclaimer Applies ##