Corrupt table problem

From: <anos_at_elmrd6.ineab.ikea.se>
Date: 20 Apr 94 10:33:58 +0200

Hi

I'm not really sure where to begin, but I have run into a problem that I not sure how to handle.

Two weeks ago I installed Perfect Cache on our DEC 7000-610 (VMS 1.5). It gave us a real performance boost and everyone was happy. A couple of days later we also upgrades Oracle to 7.0.15 on the same system. Again, no probs for almost two weeks.

Sunday night, at about 22.00, one batch job went berzerk. Instead of running for 15 min as ususal, it was RUNNING for more than 2 hours, doing +13.000.000 i/o (avg 1040 i/o per sec). We decided to abort the job and did so. During the rollback, Oracle detected that one table was *completely* corrupt and therefore that database was unable to continue. We had to restore the entire database (+8 GB) on monday morning (I don't have the exact error number here, but can provide it if somebody needs it to help me out).

Monday night, the same thing happended again (another batch, another table). We have spoken to Oracle and Raxco. Both parties says "not us!". Surprise !

Anyway, my question is; can a product like Perfect Cache really screw up a database table ? Until we know for sure, I have been told to disable the caching (with a significant performance loss as a result). As I see it, it is almost impossible to prove (???) what's the source of the problem. What to do next ? Hope for a new crash with PC disabled ? Will it happen ? Who's next ? There is at least a dozen other products that we can put the blame on.

Sigh

Anders

  |                     Internet anos_at_ineab.ikea.se                         |
  |                Phone +46-42-25 73 08, Anders Ostling                    |
  |                   IKEA Northern Europe AB, Sweden                       |

| Internet anos_at_ineab.ikea.se | | Phone +46-42-25 73 08, Anders Ostling | | IKEA Northern Europe AB, Sweden |