DB2/Oracle/Client/Server ?

From: Dan Bikle <dbikle_at_rahul.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 1994 18:11:35 GMT

Hi there,

We just finished installing db2 on our rs/6000 and on our pc.

We need a checklist of tasks to follow so I can type sql statements on our pc and have them talk to the rs/6000 via tcp/ip.

I know the pc needs to specify the following parameters:

	rs/6000 hostname or ip address
	services entry (3700 dbinst1c/tcp for example)
	the name of the instance on the rs/6000
	the name of the UNIX user who owns the tables & views

Also I want the rs/6000 to be its own tcp/ip client so I can test if the rs/6000 is "listening".

I've done this numerous times with Oracle.

On the server I make sure the database is up and the listener daemon is running and I have the correct services entry.

On the client I make sure I can ping & telnet to the server. Then I make sure I have the correct services entry. Then I put the following pieces of information in a special file:

	rs/6000 hostname or ip address
	the name of the instance on the rs/6000

Then I specify which user I want to connect to on the command line. for example:

        sqlplus scott

-Dan

Daniel B. Bikle
Independent Oracle Consultant
dbikle_at_alumni.caltech.edu
415/854-9542
P.O. BOX 'D'
MENLO PARK CA 94026

--

Dan Bikle <dbikle_at_rahul.net> Received on Tue Apr 19 1994 - 20:11:35 CEST

Original text of this message