Hardware platform needed for Forms4 under Windows

From: Glenn Nicholas <Glenn_at_wplace.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 1994 10:06:50 +0000

I am interested in the actual hardware configuration (both development and runtime) required for a complex application using Oracle Forms4, Reports2 and Graphics. I work for an Oracle software house, and we are looking at converting a large Forms3/SQL*Report based application across to the new CDE tools. We plan to use MS Windows PCs against an RS6000 running Oracle7.

I am aware that Oracle recommend a 486 with 16Mb of RAM as the minimum configuration. How does this minimum configuration operate in an actual development and production environment? I have heard that some products can take a long time to launch.

Is disk access speed a critical factor, or is it RAM? What happens with the runtime products when you call a report from a form, or call a graphics module from a form?

Does anyone have any insights in this area?

--
Glenn Nicholas, Concept
glenn_at_wplace.demon.co.uk