Oracle data export

From: Glenn Stauffer <stauffer_at_cc.swarthmore.edu>
Date: 15 Apr 1994 16:02:46 GMT

I'm starting to work with an Oracle v6 database (to be v7 over the summer) and am looking for an inexpensive utility to export selected data into a common format like a tab-delimited file. I would like a utility that will allow me to select specific records and fields for export. I looked at the Oracle Export utility, but it's obviously not what I want (from the looks of it). I did a quick and dirty export to a fixed-field file using SQL to setup a columnar report and using the spool commands to send the output to a file. It worked, but I'd rather not have to do that for every conceivable export.

We have Macs on the front-end and I am looking at several Mac-based GUI query tools. I know these offer export facilities, but a Unix tool would let me setup exports as a cron job and use an auto-mailer to distribute downloads. I'd like to keep my hands free as much as possible. The users who are receiving the data cannot access the database using either a Mac tool or a Unix tool.

Sorry for all the words.

Brief summary: wanted, unix export tool for Oracle v6/v7 databases.

Thanks
Glenn Stauffer
DBA
Swarthmore College Received on Fri Apr 15 1994 - 18:02:46 CEST

Original text of this message