Re: URGENT! HELP needed on rollback segs

From: Alice Holt <yfcw29_at_castle.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 1994 14:15:09 GMT

mas_at_Cadence.COM (Masud Khan) writes:

>Here's the scenario, we've had our Oracle expert resign unexpectedly
>and one of our Oracle servers crapped itself. We lost the database
>and I've had to rebuild it. So far this has been a RTFM task because
>I don't know the first thing about it. I did attend the Oracle DBA
>course last year but since then this is the first time I've applied
>what I learnt. The problem is I can't remember what I had for breakfast
>let alone what I did on the Oracle course last year!

>The Problem is this...

>create tablespace ROLL datafile 'filespec' size 100M
>default storage (
> initial 256K
> next 256K
> pctincrease 0
> minextents 10
> maxextents 249
>);

>This works OK and creates the tablespace 'ROLL'

>the next bit throws errors...

>create rollback segment r01 tablespace roll;

>create rollback segment r01 tablespace roll
>*
>ERROR at line 1:
>ORA-01552: cannot use system rollback segment for non-system tablespace 'ROLL'

>I looked up the error code but I don't know exactly what it wants me to do,
>can anyone please explain to me in plain English what I need to do.

>Thanks in advance

>Mas

>--

> Masud ibn Zahur ibn Hamid'ullah al-Agar-Khani Jarral al-Hanafi

>email: mas_at_cadence.com alias: Citizen-X
>Name: Masud Ahmed Khan
>Position(s): Configuration Technician, ORACLE support(?), Sys Admin
>Company: Cadence Design Systems,
> Bracknell (UK).
>Phone: 0344-865465 Voice Mail: 1465
>
>-+=[ ]=+- All opinions expressed are mine and mine only -+=[ ]=+-

You initially start off with a system rollback segment(RS) in the system tablespace. Before you can add any more tablespaces you must add at least one more rollback segment. Create the RS then shutdown the database and adjust the rollback_segments parameter to include the new rollback segment. start up the database again and check that the new rollback segment is 'in use'. you can now create rollback segments and tablespaces. Whenyo you create a new tablespace ,if only one already exists, you must have at least two rollback segments in use , that is why you are getting the error.

Magnus Brown

e0- E-Mail yfcw29_at_castle.ac.uk

        Please put 'Magnus Brown' in the subject line as this is a shared account. Received on Thu Apr 14 1994 - 16:15:09 CEST

Original text of this message