Re: Accessing Data on a AIX machine with a PC

From: Andreas C. Enotiadis <ace_at_ics.forth.gr>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 1994 21:31:15

In article <2oi761$ebb_at_panix.com> kop_at_panix.com (Paul Ko) writes:
>Hi There!
>
>Our company currently has a DB environemnt set up and running on an AIX system.
>We are using Oracle 6.XX. I was wondering if there are any products
>availiable, preferably from oracle, that will let me access the data on a PC.
>If I can access the data using an ODBC compliant inerface, that would be
>ideal.
>
>Please specify the company I need to contact (w/ phone number). Steps that I
>will need to set it up and approximate price range. If you can just
>point me to the right direction where I can get the info, that will be good
>as well.

Step one. You need a TCP/IP network between the AIX box and the PC's (preferably, you can get away with asynch links but I don't really recommend it). Ethernet and something like PC-NFS or PC-TCP will do nicely. Step two. You need SQLNet/TCP for both the AIX box and every PC you have (legally speaking). You get both from Oracle. Once you install both products you can start using any application that can access the data. MS-Access via ODBC will work but I've heard of some problems with locks. I prefer GUPTA SQL Windows. Nice development package! Another (lighter in terms of hardware) is QBE-Vision. And quite a few more that I haven't tried. most packages that claim to work with Oracle do so in my experience.
Caution!! Do not get the latest release of SQLNet for Windows, get an earlier one for Dos. 1.1.7.7b for windows gave me hellish trouble to connect to a version 6 server even though ith is fine with a version 7. Regards
Andreas

Andreas C. Enotiadis
InterNetwork Ltd - Aigis Ltd
E-Mail : ace_at_ics.forth.gr
Snail Mail : 7 Fokidos Str 11526 Athens Greece
Tel : +30-1-6486222-3
Fax : +30-1-6486222