Re: Reverse Engineering into Oracle*Case (Designer)

From: Richard D Holowczak <holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu>
Date: 14 Apr 94 15:44:14 GMT

johnsma_at_earlham.edu writes:

>HI,
> I would like to reverse engineer a production database into
>Oracle*Case, and take that model all the way back to the Strategy and
>Design phases so that I can get some diagrams using Case*Designer. I
>understand that this will be coming out in the next version of Case,
>but what are the alternatives to waiting? Do the Oracle consultants
>have the software to do it now? Thanks.

> -Johnsma

The problem one has is that the physical tables in a database many not have a one to one correspondance with Entites defined during Analysis. For example, there are several ways to implement sub-type hierarchies.

In the current (v5) Oracle CASE, there is a gap between the Analysis and Design (physical design). If you assume that each table corresponds to a single entity, then there may be some recourse. The reverse enginerring can get your tables from your account and place them into the Design level of Oracle CASE. You have to take it from there.

I have heard about a utility written by one of the user groups (or supplied by a user group) which will take each table and make an associated Entity/Attribute set at the analysis level. I've never seen this utility by I can envision its operation.

If anyone has a copy (and it's not a comercial product) would you mind posting it ?

Rich Holowczak
Rutgers University
holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu Received on Thu Apr 14 1994 - 17:44:14 CEST

Original text of this message