Re: SQL*Plus/Net error ORA-01034:ORA-07429

From: Timo Salzsieder <timo_at_PROBLEM_WITH_INEWS_GATEWAY_FILE>
Date: 14 Apr 1994 17:05:41 GMT

Jeff Mounce (mounce_at_mot.com) wrote:
> Hello,

> I am getting an error that Oracle Tech Support has been unable to solve.
> (So, I am posting it here....)

> When I run SQL*Plus on either my PC or another SunOS 4.1.3 machine to my
> server (Solaris 2.3), I get the following error:

> ERROR: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> ORA-07429: smsgsg: shmget() failed to get segment.
> SVR4 Error: 2: No such file or directory

> Yes, the instance is running, and the database is available and open and
> mounted.
> Locally as either ORACLE or any other USER, SQL*Plus has no problem. But
> remotely, this same error comes up. Logs and Traces (client & server)
> have no apparent errors.

> Any help is appreciated. As I said, Oracle Support has been stumped.

We had the same problem using HP-UX 9.0 in our environment. The reason for this problem is in our environment, the mounting of the file-systems on each client. We solve the problem using automount instead of hard unix-mounts.

Bye, Timo. Received on Thu Apr 14 1994 - 19:05:41 CEST

Original text of this message