Re: SQL*Net TCP/IP and OPS$ accounts

From: Kevin Lukes <klukes_at_novatel.ca>
Date: 12 Apr 1994 19:59:49 GMT

COLLIER M P (sd345_at_city.ac.uk) wrote:
: Does anyone have any ideas why...
: sqlplus ops$name/password_at_T:machine:sid
: ...would work, and...
: sqlplus / _at_T:machine:sid
: ...wouldn't.
: Account names are the same on both machines.
: I am running 6.0.37.3.1 on a SPARC10 (server), and connecting from a
: SPARCclassic running the same ORACLE version.

There are a couple of possiblities here: first off, the two logins are conceptually different. In the first case, you are specifically providing a username and a password - even though the username is an ops$ account it is being presented to Oracle as a valid username/password combination. In the second case you requesting default access, the manner in which it is handled dependent upon how you have configured orasrv on the host machine (as well as how the accounts have been set up).

It may be that orasrv has been set up to prevent default logins (note that this would only prevent the second login example and not the first). This is generally achieved by specifying opsoff as one of the startup parameters (I can't remember, but this may in fact be the default). Starting orasrv with opson will allow default access.

You mention that the account names are the same on both machines, I assume you also mean that a login account (i.e. not Oracle) exists on both machines for the same user (I know that the VAX platform has a way of dealing with default logins where the client doesn't have a login account, but I don't believe that method is extended to the Unix platform).

There are a number of significant security issues you may want to investigate further before opening up your database to default access (of particular concern is if you allow remote dba access to the database).

Kevin J. Lukes  Programmer/Analyst   |  klukes_at_novatel.ca
NovAtel Communications Ltd.          |  (403)295-4573
Calgary, Alberta CANADA              |  "Opinions expressed are my own"
Lament of the Unknown Programmer:

    What a tangled web we weave, when multiple platforms we conceive