Re: ODBC access, Unix to Unix.

From: Andrew May CMIS <amay_at_colesmyer.com.au>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 94 22:53:21 GMT

In article <2o2kba$bs1_at_dax.intellicorp.com>, Mark Tait <tait_at_dax.intellicorp.com> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
> I have seen a lot of posts that talk about using ODBC to have a PC
>talk to a database running on a Unix box, but I have yet to see a unix
>to unix reference. Does there exist an ODBC client for Unix?

ODBC is a Microsoft standard for connection to "other" databases. It is basically a MS-Windows DLL. ODBC allows client-side products like VB, access and Excel to connect to a "generic" database like Oracle via the ODBC driver and SQL*Net.

If you want server/server connectivity you would normally use distributed database options from your database vendor. e.g. SQL*Net over TCP/IP from one Unix box to another.

Regards,
Andrew.

--
N. Andrew May.                        | Database Administrator