Re: Textfile viewer for Unix

From: Log - Muddy Mudskipper <log_at_newton.apple.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 1994 23:31:19 GMT

In article <445362.94Apr11083216_at_aisserver2.llnl.gov>, 445362_at_aisserver2.llnl.gov (Grant Johnson) writes:
) I'm currently exploring options for allowing users to review reports
) online before printing.
)
) Our production environment is SunOS 4.1.x and other areas are
) currently using cdimore (the viewer from the CASE tools). The twist
) that my new application adds is that we have decided on a new standard
) screen size of 80x35 instead of 80x24.
)
) Here's the things of tried and the results:
)
) cdimore - On the Sun, works great from an xterm at 80x35. On a Mac
) with NCSA Telnet 2.6, it only uses 80x24 even with stty rows 35.
)
) SQL*ReportWriter 1.1 - This is my first exposure to this product. The
) builtin viewer looks good enough, but some other groups here have
) avoided it (although I'm not sure why).
)
) Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd be happy with cdimore if I
) could get it to recognize the larger screen size. Or is there some
) public domain viewer out there I've missed?

I would definitely suggest "less" as a text file viewer. It is available by anonymous FTP from the GNU archive (prep.ai.mit.edu). If you do not have FTP access there are FTP mailservers etc. that you can use.

Less supports the 'stty rows xx' under SunOS, I've used it that way many times. It also is highly configurable, using the 'lesskey' you can define any kind of custom keymap you would want. It supports both vi and Emacs type of keymaps built-in, and you can modify that using the lesskey utility. It handles large files with ease, and its display style is highly configurable.

Feel free to send me email if you want more information.

--Bill.

--
William R. Ward              Unix contractor               Apple PIE DTS
Work phone: 408/974-3668                         Voicemail: 408/479-4072