DB appl. login security questions

From: Brian Atkins <atkins_at_fc.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 1994 18:01:02 GMT

I am developing (actually, porting from Ingres) an application on Oracle. This app logs into the database as a specific user. My questions is, how do application handle DB login security?

In my prototype, I use environment variables to configure the SID, user and password the application should use. This isn't very secure, however, and I need to come up with a better strategy.

How to typical Oracle application manage user and password security?

Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Brian

Brian Atkins		atkins_at_cnd.hp.com			(303) 229-2114
Hewlett-Packard (MS102)	3404 E. Harmony Road, Ft. Collins, CO	80525-9599