Re: Forever growing indexes problem

From: Brian Christensen <brianc_at_netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 1994 20:49:25 GMT

I have a very similary problem. I have a table has a rolling 7 days of historical data. This table is inserted throughout the day. At night one day of data is deleted. This database was running on 6.0.36.5.1. The index sizes were staying relatively static. Since, I have converted the database to 7.0.15.4.0. To do this I exported the existing data and imported it into the new database. This should maintain the same index parameters. Since I have done this the indexes are continuing to grow in size, hence forcing me to re-create them at some regular interval. I called up oracle and they weren't of any assistance. If anyone has any ideas why indexes would grow to a maximum size in v6 and just continue to grow in v7 please send me an e-mail.

Brian Christensen
Database Administrator
brianc_at_wellsfargo.com

--