reading data files into a newly created table

From: Jenny Barrett <jbarrett_at_s.psych.uiuc.edu>
Date: 4 Apr 1994 15:58:13 GMT

Hi,

        I am trying to load data into a new table. The data file will be unzipped so that the data will be in ascii in 10F9.3 format. The file contains:

	An indeterminate number of lines of data, with EACH LINE of the file
	consisting of 6 IDs followed by 440 data values.  These data values
	represent values over time so I would need a column that would
	increment for each data value.  Each data value would be a different
	row in the table.

	Here is the complicated part:  for each row which would have a
different data value in the column DATAVALUE (as I mentioned above) I want to repeat the 6 IDs. They wouldn't change until the newline is encountered. When the newline is reached, this would signal a new set of IDs, followed by another 440 data values.

        I would need to do the following:

        Do until end of data file:

		read a line
		get values for the 6 IDs and assign them to globals

		for each row = current  to (current + 440)
			1. assign those global values to the 6 IDs,
			2. read the data and assign to the column DATAVALUE
			3. generate a value for the time marker column (starting
			from 0 to 440) each time a newline is encountered.

	Would I do the above by using Insert Triggers?  Is it even possible to
do the above?

Thanks,
Jenny Barrett Received on Mon Apr 04 1994 - 17:58:13 CEST

Original text of this message